Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 604-8g with Urei Horn and Urei Time Align Crossovers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Everyone,
    I'm waiting for my 620-A cabinets to be delivered via Uship.com. Great little secret there! I have a technical question. I have two 604-8G's with the blue Urei horns (no foam) which will be installed in the 620 cabinets when they arrive but the crossovers that I'll be using are from the Urei model 813 which had another 15" woofer in each cabinet along with the 604. I don't know how to handle the extra connection which was for the 15" woofer. Do I need to supply a resistor across the pair that would have gone to the 15's? Is it safe to simply leave this connection taped up with nothing connected to it? I don't want to blow anything up or melt anything down. Many thanks in advance to all of you for taking my question.
    Jerry

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Jerry
    The 813C XOV connections:
    HF Horn: RED Hot, BLACK Com
    LF 604 : GREEN Hot, WHITE Com
    LLF 2215: YELLOW Hot, BROWN Com
    To disable the LLF; disconnect one end of the coil or capacitor connected to the YELLOW lead. You do not need to use a load resistor.
    Don

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi JDM!

    Here is a link to the JBL/UREI technical library:

    Link to library

    Take a look at the schematics for the 811A and the 813A. This should help answer your question. I've got a set of 811A's. The crossover uses the same circuit board as the 813A but the components for the second woofer are not present to fill the holes on the board.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi JDM!

    Here is a link to the JBL/UREI technical library:

    Link to library

    Take a look at the schematics for the 811A and the 813A. This should help answer your question. I've got a set of 811A's. The crossover uses the same circuit board as the 813A but the components for the second woofer are not present to fill the holes on the board.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don,
    Thanks so much. It seems simple enough. At least I won't burn the house down. Thanks again.

    Hey Altec Fan,
    Thanks for the link. And if I decide to add a sub like you did I'll get in touch with you. Talk to you soon.
    Jerry

  6. #6
    Junior Hostboard Member doodlebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14th, 2005
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dang! I've just gotten a set of 813s and just love their presentation and accuracy. Of course, their downside is the 13 cu ft cabinets that keep them out in the garage these days, what with the extra subwoofer and all.

    I'd been considering building some cabinets and moving the drivers into something that could be used in a more comfortable room (Ex: the heated part of the house). The biggest holdback was what to do about a crossover that maintains the presentation for the Altecs.

    So, thanks to this discussion, I realize that I can either build or just modify the 813's crossovers to get what I'll need. This has saved me a *lot* of money.

    I'd really hate to see the UREIs broken up but I just don't have soffits to mount them into as they should be. They'd be a bear to ship to others, too, so this is seems a viable alternative.

    BTW, I just found out that the AES Conference in San Francisco next weekend will be voting the UREI 813s into their Hall of Fame. Cool!

    Thanks for your help in getting me to think out of the box (pardon the pun) a bit on the crossovers issue.

    Cheers,

    David

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Gerald DiMauro's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2003
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey David,
    Good luck with your situation. Let us know how it turns out for you.
    Peace
    Jerry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.